Re: mount USB drive read-write but only got read-only so far

Camaleón on 15/08/10 15:56, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:23:25 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

(...)

It seems most people have other problems with Time Machine back-ups like
just reading them at all or creating them, and I haven't found anybody
talking about what I can do to share the hard drive with one.

And if I can mount it read-write, will it stuff the Time Machine
back-up? I guess I can experiment, the back-up's not critical to keep at
this time.

Why not make 2 partitions of ~500 GiB for each of you? That way things wont be messed and you can choose different filesystems and permissions for the stored files :-?

Yes, OK I guess that's the best way.

After thrashing around like a psycho in a straight-jacket for a while, I saw this in /var/log/messages which probably explains the problem:

Aug 15 14:38:58 localhost kernel: [174941.037671] hfs: write access to a journaled filesystem is not supported, use the force option at your own risk, mounting read-only.