Re: partitioning HD for server

In <[🔎] 201008141400.06004.slack@rcn.com>, Louis Hinman wrote:
>On my desktop, I have partitioned my HD as follows:
>
>/root

You mean '/' right?  '/' is the root of the unified UNIX/Linux directory tree
for a single system.  '/root' is a directory (not usually a separate file
system) that is normally used as the home directory of the "root" user.

>/swap

Swap space isn't part of the directory tree; it doesn't have a pathname like
this.

>/home
>/usr/local
>/opt
>

>What would be an appropriate partition scheme for my web server?

/home, /tmp, and /var/tmp (as well as any other world-writable directory)
should be separate file systems.  (They could reside on the same partition or
even, as is in my case, on non-partitioned space.)

Other than that, I think the rest is really personal preference if you don't
want to share the file systems between multiple systems.

/usr, /usr/local, /opt, /var, /srv, /var/cache, /boot can each be justified as
separate file systems, but I don't think any are mandatory for your set-up.