Re: newbie intro

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:16:23 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:51:21 -0500, Tom Poe wrote:

Hi:  Is this correct list for learning how to install and use debian?
(...)

I hope so :-)

OK. So, for starters, I'd like to know which version to use.

That will vary based on the role of your machine.

- Debian lenny (current stable) is recommended for any use (servers, workstations, laptops...). - Debian squeeze (current testing) is recommended for a bit more advanced users and for newer hadware.

Being your first Debian installtion, I would start with Lenny.

Lookslike I can contribute to debian if I purchase CD/DVD, right? I'm on fixed income, so would have to send money order. Any suggestions?

You can contribute in many ways (translating, reporting bugs, helping others...), not just "by money". Anyway, you can buy a CD/DVD:

Vendors of Debian CDs
http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/index.en.html

Just look for any that suits your needs (which accepts money orders).

Of course, you can also get a free copy of Debian.

My wish list:  I'd like to install debian on desktop that serves as
workstation/server.  The desktop has two hard drives, 80GB and 160GB.
Would like to use both drives as one.  Not sure how to prepare drive
settings to install with reformatting both when inserting CD/DVD.  Any
suggestions appreciated (really limited computer skills, here). Tom

Uf, you start hard :-)

I think you will need to setup LVM, wich adds a layer of complexity in the installation and management. I do not use LVM at all so someone here with experience in this would serve you better.

I'd recommend reading:

6.3.2.4. Configuring the Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition

Greetings,

Thanks for the link.  Will definitely follow it.
Tom