Re: Enabling remote logon - any decent intro docs?

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 21:51 +0100, AG wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a guest account on my machine and want to enable that user to
> access that profile from another Debian machine on my LAN.  This task is
> called remote networking, right?  And as far as I can tell OpenSSH is
> probably the way to go.  How can I give this user the experience (i.e.
> desktop, icons, files, etc.) from the LAN machine that they would get if
> they were logged in directly?

I usually do it like this:

ssh -X guestuser@remotehost

it'll ask for a username and a password; once you get access to the
shell just call your favourite programs;

the remote machine will forward the graphical parts to your pc. for a
complete "desktop feel" you need to call the "gnome-session" program or
the "start-kde" program.

but, you should expect some minor discrepancies between this and a local
session, simply because things are not 100,00% perfect, only 99,9% :D

this what I usualy do....

I've even tried this approach on a SunOS to WindowsXp running mingwin
for X server :) works good enough for me... cheers

cheers
jmf