Re: Why is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/sun-java6-6-12/jdk1.6.0_12 not recognized in update-alternatives?

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:26:53 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> No information about this in the man page? :-?
>>
> To detect, I did not find anything. But to set manually a new one, it is
> possible, but I can't understand the link between
> update-java-alternatives and update-alternatives. One must be more
> prioritary than another, and the most prioritary one needs to be set to
> Sun's one.

By reading this manual:

***
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html

(section 11.10)

If a package doesn't register itself as a window manager for some reason
(file a bug if it's in error), or if you use a window manager from /usr/
local directory, the selections on screen won't contain your preferred
entry. You can update the link through command line options, like this:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-window-manager x-window-manager /usr/local/bin/wmaker-cvs 50

The first argument to `--install' option is the symlink that points to /
etc/alternatives/NAME, where NAME is the second argument. The third
argument is the program to which /etc/alternatives/NAME should point to,
and the fourth argument is the priority (larger value means the
alternative will more probably get picked automatically).
***

I would try (disclaimer: not tested, proceed at your own risk :-P)
something like:

***
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/sun-java6-6-12/jdk1.6.0_12/jre/bin/java 1
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón