Any package instillation breaks libraries.

I am having a very annoying issue at the moment. any time i install a
package via apt / synaptic / aptitude my internet connection fails.

this issue is beyond me. but so far i have narrowed it down to the
shared libraries folders going bad. i have a stable backup of my
system that i have been copying over to my machine each time it fails.
frist was a full system restore except /home. next i restored only
/etc /lib /lib32 /lib64 and /usr.
this latest restore i only copied the libraries in /lib /lib32 /lib64
and the usr folder libs.

can anyone help me move past this issue. i dont know how installing
some random package could destroy lib used by the internet connection
or iceweasel. how can i avoid this issue and still be able to install
packages?

all packages are being pulled from the debian lenny repository...