Re: No Consoles???

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 14:14 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM, John W Foster <jfoster81747@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> /etc/inittab looks good, what about the contents of /etc/default/console-setup?
> >
> > There is no file by that name.
>
> Then check
> /etc/console-tools/config
> or
> /etc/kbd/config
> although I thought that Squeeze defaulted to console-setup.
>
> IIRC, you had posted earlier that Ubuntu 9.10 on the same box didn't
> have any consoles either and my only puzzling/disturbing thought is
> that udev isn't creating tty's for either Debian or Ubuntu....

-------------------------
FYI: There is a directory eyc/console  however it is empty. I'm
wondering if there is supposed to be something there?

Contents of etc/kbd/config posted below.

#
# This files tells the 'kbd' package:
#
# - whether to load a specific font and boot (and maybe a screen-font
map,
#   but you should avoid that if possible).
# - whether to setup an Application-Charset Map other than the default
CP437.
# - whether to do screen saver/DPMS settings
# - whether to change the keyboard rate/delay or the state of the
#   keyboard indicators
# - whether to show a clock
#
# You can also specify per-VC settings by suffixing variable names as in
# the examples below. This only works on framebuffer devices.
#
# For consistency with the configuration file of console-tools the
# following variables and their _vcN versions are also supported:
# SCREEN_FONT, SCREEN_FONT_MAP and APP_CHARSET_MAP.
#
#
# Example:
#
#CONSOLE_FONT=iso01.f16
#CONSOLE_FONT_vc2=LatArCyrHeb-16
#
#CONSOLE_MAP=iso05
#CONSOLE_MAP_vc2=user
#
# Set the following - more euro-friendly default than kernel font.
#CONSOLE_FONT=latarcyrheb-sun16.psf

# Forget this one unless you _know_ it is necessary for your font:
#FONT_MAP=iso01

#  **** screen saver/DPMS settings: all VCs ****
# These settings are commented by default to avoid the chance of damage
# very old monitors that don't support DPMS signalling.

# screen blanking timeout.  monitor remains on, but the screen is
cleared to
# range: 0-60 min (0==never)  kernels I've looked at default to 10
minutes.
# (see linux/drivers/char/console.c)
BLANK_TIME=30

# blanking method (VESA DPMS mode to use after BLANK_TIME, before
powerdown):
# on: the default, no DPMS signalling. near instant powerup, no power
saving
# vsync: DPMS Standby mode. nearly instant recovery, uses 110/120W (17"
screen)
# hsync: DPMS Suspend mode. typically 3s recovery, uses 15/120W (17"
screen)
# powerdown,off: DPMS Off mode, typ. 10s recovery, uses  5/120W (17"
screen)

# Those values are for my 17" Mag, but some monitors do suspend the same
as
# standby.  xset dpms force {off|standby|suspend|on} is useful for this,
if X
# supports DPMS on your video card.  Set X's DPMS screensaver with xset
dpms
# or use option power_saver in XF86Config
#
# DPMS set by default to on, because hsync can cause problems on certain
# hardware, such as Armada E500 laptops
BLANK_DPMS=off

# Powerdown time.  The console will go to DPMS Off mode POWERDOWN_TIME
# minutes _after_ blanking.  (POWERDOWN_TIME + BLANK_TIME after the last
input)
POWERDOWN_TIME=30

# rate and delay can get only specific values, consult kbdrate(1) for
help
#KEYBOARD_RATE="30"
#KEYBOARD_DELAY="250"

# Turn on numlock by default
#LEDS=+num

# Display a clock in the right upper corner of the console by running
vcstime
#DO_VCSTIME=yes