Re: 2 packages with the same file

In <[🔎] 1281444325.4c6149e57c24d@imp.free.fr>, spam.spam.spam.spam@free.fr wrote:
>If I create a package with the same file than an other package which is
>already installed on my computer, I can't install it. But when I download a
>package with the same file than an other package which is already installed
>on my computer, I can install it.

Not true, normally.

dpkg can't tell where a .deb came from; that information is not stored inside
the package.  It checks all packages for file-level conflicts as part of
installing them.

>Now I prove it :
>
>I have 2 packages with the same file :
>-nvidia-glx
>-xserver-xorg-core
>
>The file is : /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

nvidia-glx uses a "diversion" to force the libglx.so file from any other
package to be moved / installed to an alternate location.  Your packages can
also use diversion(s), if need be.  IIRC diversions are a bit out-of-favor as
far as packaging style, but there are some cases where they are the best
solution.

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-diversions.html and the dpkg-
divert(8) man page are probably the best references on this dpkg feature.

Consider using the alternatives system instead.  It scales better and is (IMO)
easier for a administrator to adjust to local policy.  The "disadvantage" is
that all the packages providing a file must be modified to do so though the
alternatives system.  (As opposed to the diversion system, where only one
package is the pair actually uses it; nvidia-glx in your case.)

NB:  I spelled it "divertion" each and every time I typed it in this message
and had to correct it. :(