Can't write dual layer DVD

Hi all,
I use Debian system with KDE3, only partially updated to SID
(originally SID based, two years ago), with kernel 2.6.32. I can write
single layer DVDs with no problems (using k3b).
When trying to record dual layer, my drive starts humming (disc
rotating at high speed), then after few minutes k3b reports I/O
problem (in record preparation stage).
Then /var/log/dmesg contains some messages like "HAL timed out waiting
120s" and some kernel callstacks.

I'm not currently at this computer, but I'm seeking for an advice
where to look further. How to check if that's hw issue (drive,
motherboard ...), kernel or userspace problem.

Could you share any hints with me?

Regards,
Robert