Re: finding the ip address for dns, nslookup & etc.

On 08/08/10 20:14, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
It connects to the ISP with DHCP.  What is the
standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
Here are some things which don't help.

joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search pi.shawcable.net
joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer

I am not sure I fully understand your question. However

dhclient, when it gets given a dhcp address will setup /etc/resolv.conf to point to the upstream nameservers. At least that is what happens with me. So I have both 127.0.0.1 but also the upstream nameservers in my /etc/resolv.conf

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk