Re: finding the ip address for dns, nslookup & etc.

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:14 PM,  <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I have a Debian router with dnsmasq working.
> It connects to the ISP with DHCP.  What is the
> standard way to find the ip address or addresses,
> which dnsmasq is using for upstream nameservers?
> Here are some things which don't help.
>
> joule:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> search pi.shawcable.net
> joule:~# nslookup pi.shawcable.net
> Server:         127.0.0.1
> Address:        127.0.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find pi.shawcable.net: No answer

>From /etc/dnsmasq.conf:
# Change this line if you want dns to get its upstream servers from
# somewhere other that /etc/resolv.conf
#resolv-file=

So resolvconf is setting the servers in resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and
dnsmasq is therefore using 127.0.0.1 as its upstream server, unless
you have modified /etc/dnsmasq.conf.

Even that might not be enough. Take a look at /etc/default/dnsmasq.
You have to set dnsmasq to ignore resolvconf in it.