Re: match across line using grep

On 08/05/2010 06:49 PM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> On 2010年08月04日 04:55, Bob McGowan wrote:
>> In fact, the LC_ names all seem to be specific to things
>> that would not necessarily impact the regex operation.
>>
> It is not totally true. The encoding part might. If it is UTF-8, in
> theory, [:digit:] should match more than 0-9. It might, for example,
> mache 一-十 (Chinese digits).

My point is that changing only the LANG environment variable changed the
way 'grep' dealt with the newline character.  I admittedly did not use a
very strict interpretation or understanding of the LC_ variables, you
could say I arbitrarily decided to go top down in trying changes.

Either way, I got lucky, the first choice changed the be behavior.  The
others may also change things, but it didn't seem relevant to try every
one, as changing one was enough to prove the point.

--
Bob McGowan