Re: What to put on SSD

Brian Ryans:
> Quoting Jochen Schulz on 2010-08-05 04:27:26:
>
>> BTW, you can monitor lifetime writes with recent kernels for each
>> filesystem separately:
>>
>> $ sudo tune2fs -l /dev/mapper/manowar-home-crypt | grep ^Lifet
>> Lifetime writes:          785 GB
>>
>> This filesystem is almost exactly 13 months old and I think more than
>> half of the writes on my system go there. The rest is mostly package
>> upgrades (I am running sid).
>
> Do you know what kernel exactly is required?

Sorry, no. I usually run current sid and compile vanilla kernels from
Linus' git. This is supported by upstream since at least July 2009, so I
guess 2.6.30 or 2.6.31 should be enough. But I cannot find any
references regarding that.

What I just found out, though, is that the X25m apparently reports host
writes as S.M.A.R.T. attribute 225:

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep ^225
225 Host_Writes_Count  0x0000   200   200  000  Old_age Offline  -  53426

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg19641.html

The raw value multiplied by 32MB is supposed to be the total amount of
data written to the device during its total lifetime. That's about
1,700GB for me which appears to be plausible (and only 4% of the writes
Intel reports as minimum lifetime writes).

J.
--
If politics is the blind leading the blind, entertainment is the fucked-
up leading the hypnotised.