Two lvm questions

I am running Squeeze with two 1.5 TB disks. Each disk has a /boot partition and a swap partition. The rest of each disk
is 1/2 of a mdadm raid1 (/dev/md0). md0 is then used as the physical volume for lvm which hosts my 100GB root and 500GB
/home partitions. Having plenty of extra space I also have 6 (six) snapshots of each partition going back in time.

Question 1: Is having all of those snapshots killing my disk performance. Or, is LVM smart enough so that when I change something on the disk that exists in all of the snapshots it only makes one additional copy rather than 6 copies (one for each snapshot)

Question 2: The system take about 1/2 hour to boot, most of which is in LVM discovery. Is there any way to speed this up? I have tried to tweek /etc/lvm/lvm.conf but couldn't find much to do there other than set the filter to only scan the md0 device;

i.e.    filter = [ "a|/dev/md0|" , "r/.*/" ]

Stuart