Re: how do I know if CPU temperature exceed max limit

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:45:19 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 01:56:29 -0400, Long Wind wrote:
>>
>>> (sorry, this question isn't debian specific) I have a P3/550, SECC2 I
>>> get its manual from Intel
>>> It says max T junction is 80 C
>>> The motherboard BIOS reports CPU temperature but is the reported value
>>> equal to T junction?
>>
>> Mmm... I have heard that some motherboard manufacturers read "T case"
>> value instead "T junction" and display that number in the BIOS ("CPU
>> Temp").
>>
>> You can also take a look into "lm-sensors", a nice tool for that, and
>> compare values from both sources.

> Thanks to all those who reply!
> According to the motherboard manual:
>
> CPU temperature is monitored ... thru the CPU's internal thermal diode.

Then, as per Intel docs, thermal diode reading gives you the "T junction"
value:

***
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/sb/cs-007589.htm

(2) The junction temperature (TJ) can be determined using the thermal
diode in the processor core. For more information, see the AP-905 Pentium
III Processor Thermal Design Guidelines (order # 245087).
***

THT

Greetings,

--