Re: Trouble compiling generic kernel

On 2010-07-26 14:00 +0200, Curt Howland wrote:

> On Monday 26 July 2010, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> was heard to
> say:
>> You need to install the fakeroot package to build Debian packages
>> as an ordinary user.  In Squeeze, dpkg-dev recommends fakeroot for
>> that reason.
>
> Well, that solves that question. I thought the fakeroot package was
> for "that extra bit of security", because I had it confused
> with "chroot" and that whole "jail" thing.
>
> Got it! I'll try again on my main system (the Lenny one) again today
> with all the advice given. I think it will work this time! And this
> may be the first time I didn't get advice from Ron Johnson. :^)

There's another advice I need to give: while dpkg-dev will automatically
use fakeroot when necessary, make-kpkg currently does not unless you set
ROOT_CMD=fakeroot in the environment.  You can put this setting into
~/.kernel-pkg.conf (I have it there for ages, and forgot about it).

See kernel-pkg.conf(5) for other settings you may want to put into
~/.kernel-pkg.conf.

Sven