Re: wifi gets disconnected frequently

Am 25.07.2010 05:56, schrieb Kurian Thayil:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Thomas Amm <ed3ltaud@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 24.07.2010 19:47, schrieb Kurian Thayil:
>>
>>> I am using Squeeze and my Wifi link in my Laptop (Acer 5583 Series) gets
>>> frequent disconnections, but gets connected after a few seconds. This
>>> happens only with squeeze. While I was using Lenny, it was working fine.
>> So
>>> I installed the non-free driver corresponding to Lenny instead of squeeze
>>> and tried. But the same issue. The Wifi Module is iwl3945 and the message
>>> get in /var/log/messages while connection/disconnection is given below:
>> (...)
>>> Jul 24 23:13:12 squeeze kernel: [ 6775.085021] Registered led device:
>>> iwl-phy0::TX
>>> Jul 24 23:13:12 squeeze kernel: [ 6775.093072] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP):
>> wlan0:
>>> link is not ready
>>> Jul 24 23:13:14 squeeze kernel: [ 6776.741328] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE):
>>> wlan0: link becomes ready
>>
>> Is there any kind of wireless encryption involved? WPA-supplicant
>> running in the background? IIRC network-manager activates wpa-supplicant
>> by default -even if there is no wireless interface- and i remember
>> having seen similar behaviour caused by wpa-supplicant and TKIP/AES
>> mismatch between AP and client.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>
> There is no wireless encryption involved. I have only enabled accesslist
> based on MAC address. Other than that, there is no security involved between
> my laptop and the NetGear wireless router. As you said, wpa-supplicant is
> running in the background. When I checked with `ps` this is the output I
> got,
>
> kurianmt@squeeze:~$ ps aux |grep wpa
> root      2164  0.0  0.1   4756  2336 ?        S    09:14   0:00
> /sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s
> kurianmt  2880  0.0  0.0   3116   760 pts/0    S+   09:24   0:00 grep wpa
>
> Any idea what to be done?

Kill wpa-supplicant, if it is interfering with ifup. Kill it anyway to
find out if it does: fire up wpa_cli as root on a console and enter
"terminate" on the CLI. "help" might also be useful for further debugging.

If the link stays up then, check if there's DNS (DNS is likely to fail
if the default ifup script gets interrupted).
Otherwise try to configure the interface by hand. I do not know which
tools are used by your specific HW. Might be iwconfig and iwpriv/iwlist
or wlanconfig. Anyway "iwconfig" should show you if wpa_supplicant tried
to set some options related to encryption/authorization which might
cause the interface to connect, wait for authorization, fail and
disconnect to try again.