Re: unwanted repeated messages on Lenny laptop

Celejar wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:16:52 +0200
Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

Dne, 24. 07. 2010 18:51:39 je hugo vanwoerkom napisal(a):

Jul 24 11:28:25 debian kernel: [78097.591085] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the latest firmware (version 4).

How can I turn off those messages? Aside from messing with the firmware on the laptop, which I am loathe to do because various people still use it to access the unmentionable o/s.

You won't be "messing with the firmware" on the laptop; despite its name, the "firmware" is just a software file that gets loaded into the ... uhm ... oh, well, somewhere.

If you're reluctant to do that, you could disable those messages in various ways ... For example, by disabling the wireless card in your BIOS, if such option exists.
Or by disabling (or even uninstalling) Network Manager.
Or by configuring your wireless interface in /etc/network/interfaces in such a way that NetworkManager won't mess with it (setting it to manual or something along the line). But there are surely many other ways, of which actually loading the firmware is certainly not the worst ...

Blacklist the module (b43 or similar).

was not needed, installing b43-fwcutter as suggested by Andrei did the trick.
Thanks
Hugo