Re: Lenny, rsyslog: eliminate mail logging going to both syslog and mail.log

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 06:56:59PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> > What do I need to modify in /etc/rsyslog.conf to stop mail system logging from
> > going into /var/log/syslog?  Currently it goes to both /var/log/mail.log and
> > to /var/log/syslog.
> >
> > I'm guessing it might have to do with the leading wildcard here:
> >
> > *.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
>
> IIRC
> *.*;!mail.debug;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog

That will stop debug level messages from the mail system. If you want to
be sure of getting NO mail messages in syslog, then you could use
mail.none. (The clue is in the authpriv entry.)

Cheers,
Tom

--
The ratio of literacy to illiteracy is a constant, but nowadays the
illiterates can read.