Re: Which disk is failing?

Gregory Seidman put forth on 7/22/2010 9:45 AM:

> Nope, it's a tower:
> ThinkCentre M52 3.2GHz Intel Pentium IV Desktop PC

> The tower was purchased refurbished, but is probably circa 2004. The
> drives, cables, and enclosures are no more than two years old.

Both external drives are native SATA correct?  I think your best course of
action at this point would be to purchase a $15-20 two port PCI SATA card
based on a SiI 3512 chipset, any internal SATA data/power cables you'd need,
and move the drives inside the PC.  This will allow smartmontools, hdparm, and
other utils to identify the drives, and you'll likely get a nice speed boost
as well, especially if that PC has a 66MHz 32bit PCI slot, which will allow
full bandwidth to both drives simultaneously.

Newegg has everything you need.  I recommend the Koutech 3512 based card.  I
have one in my server and it works very well.  I gave $15 for it but I think
it's up to $20 now, which is still very reasonable.  You should be able to
pick up the Koutech, 2 x 3.5" to 5.25" generic drive bay adapters if you need
them, and 2 combo SATA data/power cables for $30-40 including shipping.

If that PC has motherboard down SATA ports you're in business with no cash
outlay, assuming you have SATA data/power cables.

--
Stan