Re: amd64 does net detect my wired and wireless nic at installation

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 04:36:15 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Tue July 20 2010, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> > Wonderful. I would suggest to replace the kernel you have now by one
> > from http://www.backports.org as you will receive kernel updates then.
> >
> > kind regards
>
> so if I wanted to upgrade my kernel, and I am using backports, I could do
> this:
>
> # aptitude -t lenny-backports install linux-image-2.6-686
>
> and it would install the package 2.6.32+27~bpo50+1  ?

That should work.  I use the aptitude curses interface to make such changes,
since sometimes aptitude needs a bit of help with resolving dependencies.
That shouldn't matter for the kernel though, since it has few dependencies.

Note that if you have any modules you've compiled (and installed) through
module-assistant that you should recompile them for the new kernel before
rebooting into it.  (Depending on your setup you may also need to fiddle with
your boot loader.)