Re: Recovering deleted items once Kmail trash is emptied

On 07/12/2010 08:27 AM, AG wrote:
Hi

Is there anyway of recovering items that have been deleted by "emptying"
KMail's trash folder?

I suspect not, and certainly the KMail manual suggests that once it's
gone, it's gone. However, ever hopeful, I thought that someone here may
have a trick or two up their sleeve.

If you're a typical home desktop user and KMail acts like Tbird/Nutscrape/Evo then all of a folder's emails are stored in 1 mbox file.

When you compress that file (i.e., empty the folder), the MUA copies the "active" messages into a new mbox file, unlinks the old mbox file and then renames the new mbox file to the old name.

So, if you dismounted that partition *very* soon afterwards (to prevent anything else from possibly overwriting that area of disk, then it's possible to recover that file using tools others have mentioned.

--
Seek truth from facts.