setting XKBLAYOUT to gb in squeeze ?

Hi there,

  I am wondering if anyone has been able to setup XKBLAYOUT properly
on debian/squeeze. I am reading

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide

  It says:

$ grep -C 3 -i xkb /etc/default/console-setup
-> return nothing on my computer.

Reading the file it seems I actually need to change
/etc/default/keyboard instead, so I did:

$ grep -C 3 -i xkb /etc/default/keyboard
# /etc/init.d/hal restart

# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
# values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
# in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

# If you don't want to use the XKB layout on the console, you can
# specify an alternative keymap.  Make sure it will be accessible
# before /usr is mounted.
# KMAP=/etc/console-setup/defkeymap.kmap.gz

As specified, I did rerun the hal deamon:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart
Restarting Hardware abstraction layer: hald.

$ lshal | grep xkb
-> return nothing

If I look at the log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I can see something weird:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Dell Dell USB Keyboard"
(type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc104"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"

I also tried :

  dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

and I explicitely specify dell USB keyboard, it then picks up that my
keyboard is 'gb' style and not 'us', but the change has no effect even
after a gdm restart.

Any advice ?

Thanks,
--
Mathieu

$ cat /etc/debian_version
squeeze/sid
$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg console-setup  hal
xserver-xorg:
  Installed: 1:7.5+6
  Candidate: 1:7.5+6
  Version table:
 *** 1:7.5+6 0
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
console-setup:
  Installed: 1.51
  Candidate: 1.51
  Version table:
 *** 1.51 0
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
hal:
  Installed: 0.5.14-2
  Candidate: 0.5.14-2
  Version table:
 *** 0.5.14-2 0
        500 http://ftp.fr.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "DontZap"               "false"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"