Re: advice on amd64

On 07/06/2010 09:07 AM, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 7/5/2010 5:40 PM, Jim McCloskey wrote:
>>
>> I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
>> Debian (squeeze) on it.
>
>  The machine has a 1.6GHz
>> Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
>> Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.
>

> Do you not mean a 2.6 GHz CPU (rather than 1.6)?
>
> I would go with amd64.  32-bit Flash also runs on amd64, and
> flashplayer-mozilla from Debian-multimedia (rather than
> flashplugin-nonfree) installs everything you need.  And though it
> seems to imply that it exists for iceweasel/firefox (or possibly
> epiphany) it works well with Chrome, too.

I would also go with amd64. I'm using 1 year now debian squeeze amd64
and never had a problem, except with skype where I had to do something
with i32 libraries if I remember correct. But your question comes at the
very day where upgrading my squeeze as I regularly do, I saw that
flashplugin-nonfree disabled my flash!!! I just tried gnash and it
doesn't work, and can't seem to find this flashplayer-mozilla on
debian-multimedia*...

G.

*
mordor:/home/gpall# grep multime /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
mordor:/home/gpall# aptitude search flashplayer-mozilla
mordor:/home/gpall#