USB memory stick plugged in - mouse stops

I have a USB mouse and keyboard both plugged through an external hub and connected into a USB port at the back of my computer

Separately I have a USB port out of the front of the computer in which (via a short extension lead) I am plugging in a memory stick. (I am saying this because I think it is unlikely they are connected to the same USB chip on the motherboard).

I have had this arrangement for at least a year, probably several.

I am running Squeeze (mostly - sources.list show Squeeze, but about 4 months ago this machine ran Sid, so it is possible some packages remain installed from that time which haven't been updated).

In the last few days, I have noticed that when I plug in the memory stick my mouse stops responding. Not completely, but it is very jerky and is almost not responding at all to movement. Most times a click doesn't work, although it does occassionally. As soon as I unplug the stick it works again. Unmounting the (auto) mounted stick does NOT make the mouse work again.

This happens about 98% of the time - just very occassionally it all seems fine.

I've looked using htop whilst this happens, and I can't see any process suddenly take all the CPU time or anything like that - indeed except for a blip at the beginning CPU time is averaging out at about 5%.

I say this happened in the past couple of days - but in reality it may have been within a couple of weeks before that. A couple of weeks back I set my CPU to go to sleep when it wasn't being used for a couple of hours - but this seemed to frequently stop the mouse and keyboard from responding at all when I came out of that sleep mode, so two days ago I turned this off. It was then when I started to notice this phenomenon.

Any ideas on how to track down what this problem might be.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk