Re: Help with Research

On Friday 09 July 2010 12:19:42 Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 09/07/10 03:32, Iffat Jabeen wrote:
> > Dear users of Gnu/Linux,
[snip]
> > Please share your experiences via the following link:
> > http://survey.education.txstate.edu/mrIWeb/mrIWeb.dll?I.Project=LPP
> >
> > Your assistance in distributing the survey link to LUGs and  Gnu/Linux
> > oriented forums is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you for your time,
> >
> > Don Davis and Iffat Jabeen
>
> I did the survey
+1

> I see three problems with it
+1

> 1) Outside the US, I don't understand your school system - so
> referencing what I assumed where school grades meant I had to guess what
> you meant.

I understood it.  I did grade six when I was ten.  But it does not really
equate to our system in a meaningful way, so I just did my best.  I found it
hard to remember in the questions that kindergarten in the American system !=
nursery in ours, and the children referenced were older than 3.  When I was
young nursery schools here were often called kindergartens.

> 2) You don't provide ANY guidance as to the scope of what you mean by
> GNU/Linux - so I was somewhat thrown by the question in the middle about
> helping projects outside of GNU/Linux.  In particular, I had assumed a
> broad scope - but then didn't know what to think when you get into
> projects that are cross boundary (for instance Javascript Libraries or
> Java).

I found this with many of the questions.  In particular, as is the case with
most multiple choice questionnaires/exams, the answers were only available
where you had thought of them as possible, and in quite a few cases I had
considerable difficulty deciding what on earth to put.

> 3) I got confused about your use of the term "package".  What about
> applications that are not packaged - I have chat, airhockey and football
> match picking competition applications that are just that - applications
> unpackaged.

It was often hard to envisage what was meant - and "other, please specify"
would have been useful.

Also, you have asked us to fill it in before and did not explain why a second
try was needed.
Lisi