Re: Debian/kernel's policy for fatal errors, etc.

Merciadri Luca wrote:
> pretty correctly integrated into the kernel. I should not worry like
> this, but for a computer which needs to be turned on 24h/24, 7d/7, etc.,
> it's an important thing because, for meteorological data capture, we
> shall all depend on the computer's `good-will.'

I have personally seen Linux based systems run for several years
without a reboot.  Of course that isn't recommended since security
vulnerabilities are usually patched at least a few times a year and
security upgrades should be installed and rebooted to activate.  But
just the same old "uptime wars" have been around for a while and
machines running for years without a reboot are not that unusual.

If uptime is critical, critical, critical then you would need to plan
for it and use more redundancy.  But for most applications it is good
enough to plan scheduled reboots for installations of security
upgrades.  It is all your choice.

Bob