Re: Why apt-get sets such packages as manually installed?

On Seg, 05 Jul 2010, Merciadri Luca wrote:
When you don't know that you already have a given package, and that you
want to install it, apt-get tells you that you already have it, and sets
it to `manually installed.' Why does it set it to `manually installed'
like this? What's the interest? Most of the time, I don't know that I
have a given package, and copy/paste a long list of packages that is
needed for building something.

If you asked for a package to be installed, it is reasonable to assume that you want that package. If it is already installed, then naturally there is no need to reinstall - but since you asked for it, it is marked as manually installed - the same result you'd obtain if it was not installed.

--
The future not being born, my friend, we will abstain from baptizing it.
		-- George Meredith

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br