Re: USB peripherals are plugged in across time: how are /dev/ttyUSBx assignations done?

Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 13:17:11 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Celejar wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure what kind of peripherals you have in mind, but they generally
>>> won't get ttyUSBn addresses, unless they're USB-serial converters,
>>> which contain chips meant to provide a serial / TTY interface to the
>>> system.
>>>

>> And which addresses would they get, if they were not using /dev/ttyUSBx?
>>

> Block devices (external DVD players or hard disks, USB flash, digital
> still cameras, voice recorders and many, many devices...) do not create "/
> dev/ttyUSBx" but get mounted under "/media" (that is, standard "/dev/sdx"
> naming).
>
> Modems (gsm/umts/dial-up) devices and printers do it that way (in fact,
> anything that emulates the "serial" port).

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I'm here speaking about
non-block devices (such as data probes, etc.). Are they automatically
recognized and set up as /dev/ttyUSBx?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.