caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G

Hi,

I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and move to a new location (Mexico). There I subscribed to Telmex´s ADSL package. They gave me a 2wire ´wireless´ gateway model 4011G and said they only support the unmentionable OS. So support is, as usual, non-existent.

2 questions:

1. I don´t understand what the ´wireless´ part of this gateway is. You connect 3 things, the phoneline via a microfilter, the power cord and the ethernet cable to the eth0 port. What is wireless?

2. 2wire says that this gateway has a builtin pppoe client. So to configure it I only run pppoeconf and specify the userid and the password and then run pppd?

I had this thing researched but the system is down and won´t be up very soon and I´d like to know what I´d be faced with.

Thanks,

Hugo