The empty primary partition, where should it be

Hi,

Do you have empty primary partitions? Have you noticed where they are?

When leaving an empty primary partition, I'm thinking:

/dev/hda1 Primary
/dev/hda2 Primary
/dev/hda3 Empty
/dev/hda4 Extended
/dev/hda5 Logical

but what I found most existing partitions look like this:

/dev/hda1 Primary
/dev/hda2 Primary
/dev/hda3 Extended
/dev/hda4 Empty
/dev/hda5 Logical

Ie, empty partition *after* the extended partition. This seems weird to
me -- "does the empty partition actually belong to the extended
partition?" But since (almost) every tool is creating partitions like
this, there must be a reason for it.

Can anyone shed some lights?

Thanks

--