Re: Misleading Debian's installer choice

Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 22:02:49 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
> (...)
>

>> First, I always found the `mount point' expression weird in this
>> context, because, for me, the mount point _is_ always the partition,
>> during the installation, but this is not the problem.
>>

> "Mount point" or "bind" yes, at last in means where do you want to put
> your files based upon your partitioning scheme.
>

>> The biggest problem is that you are able to choose between, say, `/',
>> `/var/', '/usr/', `/home/', etc. But, without thinking a lot, `/'
>> *habitually* contains the rest. So, mounting say `/' on hda1, and
>> `/home/' on hdb1 could appear as weird for the user, at first glance
>> (only).
>>

> It depends. There are many situations and setups where having a separate
> disk and/or partition is a very good choice (speed or security/redundancy
> gains).

Sure, but I did not want to say that using different partitions is not a
good idea (I always use different partitions). I simply wanted to speak
about the `/' and its hierarchy problem that I mentioned before. :)
> (side note: one thing I found very pleasant about Debian is that it has a
> very good and a lot of documentation):
>
> ***
> C.3. Recommended Partitioning Scheme
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs03.html.en
> ***
>
> Anyway, experience will tell you what path to follow.

But I've my idea which is actually pretty much the same as the Help's one.

>> What do you think about this? (I'm known for my outlandish ideas, so,
>> don't be angry if I'm wrong.)
>>

> Partitioning strategies can be very fine-grained and mainly based on the
> machine target and the type of the services that will host.
>
> I personally do not like having many partitions so with "small" disks
> (<500 GiB) usually make 2 "slices": swap and root ("/")... and have many
> backups around there :-)

:-) /

--
Merciadri Luca