Re: Current solution for ia32 on amd64?

On Monday 28 June 2010 12:51:28 hatta@softhome.net wrote:
> I am having trouble figuring out what the right way to install i386
> packages on AMD64 Sid is.  Specifically, I need to install some 32-bit dev
> packages so I can compile Wine.  (for regression testing)  I have ia32-libs
> installed, but it doesn't contain the development packages I need.
>
> The Wine wiki tells me to use ia32-apt-get.  I do not have ia32-apt-get
> installed, and apt-get tells me there is no installation candidate.  I
> can't find it on packages.debian.org

  I'm not sure if it will work for Wine, but I've started using
virtualization for almost all of my 32-bit needs.  There's a
"virtualbox-ose" package in Debian "lenny", it works, and it's almost
trivial to set up a VM.

  The one place it doesn't work is for hosting a 32-bit browser on
a 64-bit base system -- or rather, I haven't figured it out, since
the VirtualBox documentation has some discussion of shared files.
(I want my bookmarks preserved, and downloads to go somewhere
where I can find/use them.)

  For regression testing of most things, it would be fine, but Wine
is likely to require low-level access to the hardware, so it might
not be as good for that, hence my earlier hesitation.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net