Re: Req. Advice from Lazy Web on Configuring 1.5TB extern. HD

On 06/23/2010 10:22 AM, Arthur Machlas wrote:
Greetings,

I just purchased a 1.5 WD sata II HD and enclosure connected via USB
after an unfortunate incident involve rm -rf, something called "home"
and a bicycle. It's purpose will be two-fold: As a back-up device for
two laptops (HD sizes 500GB and 120GB), and as a central storage
device for movies, videos and music I don't like. One laptop is
Windows, one is Debian Squeeze.

I'd like a few partitions on it...
1) ext2 to image / from my debian install. 50GB so I could have two or
three "snapshots"
2) ext4 encrypted for my /home/arthur/documents folder as backup

Regarding this, I'd use encfs to do the encryption. Much simpler that way.

3) ntfs? encrypted for girlfriends "my documents/documents" folder.
4) 700GB for backups of pictures from both Debian and XP.. filesystem ... ntfs?
5) 700GB for movies, which would be served (via Debian) to a ps3, not
backups, primary storage. Ntfs?

Thoughts are that unison might be appropriate here, also LVM for
resizing if needed... But I'm looking for opinions, problems with
plan, better suggestions or just links to good articles on the
subject.

--
Seek truth from facts.