Re: Grrrrrub2 again!!

On Sunday 20 June 2010 13:18:38 Tom H wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Thierry Chatelet <tchatelet@free.fr>
wrote:
> > I did a new squeeze install on a desktop with dual boot, and install grub
> > 2. System boot fine in debian, but $W was not present. No problem, I had
> > this problem before and a simple update-grub solved it. But this time I

<SNIP>

> Your device.map must be incorrect.
>
> Create another as root
> grub-mkdevicemap --no-floppy --device-map=/root/device.map
>
> Then test grub-probe
> grub-probe --device-map=/root/device.map --target=drive --device /dev/sb
> grub-probe --device-map=/root/device.map --target=drive --device /dev/sdb1
> grub-probe --device-map=/root/device.map --target=drive /
> grub-probe --device-map=/root/device.map --target=drive /boot
> grub-probe --device-map=/root/device.map --target=device /
> grub-probe --device-map=/root/device.map --target=device /boot
>
> The first four should output the grub drives and the last two the dev
> devices.
>
> I think that you could also delete /boot/grub/device.map (or move it
> out of /boot/grub) and run the grub-probes without
> "--device-map=/root/device.map".

Thank you for your answer, but no luck, I did not managed not to have the
error. So I try a reinstall rebuilding the VLM completely, and the error did
not go away. So, I reinstalled again, without LVM and then it was OK. I wont
have time to check again for the solution to the error as I have to give back
the machine. Too bad, because I did not learn from this one.
Thank you again.
Thierry