Re: Lilo and Squeeze

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:56:01 -0400 (EDT), Joachim Wiedorn wrote:

> At fist: I don't read list 'debian-user'. I am the new developer of lilo.
> See: http://alioth.debian.org/projects/lilo/
> and: http://lilo.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Marc Shapiro wrote:
>> There has been a lot of talk about lilo and squeeze on the list lately,
>> but I don't really want to get into that argument.  I have been using lilo
>> for a dozen years, since I started using linux.  I am comfortable with
>> lilo.conf.  I have never bothered to figure out grub's menu.lst and I
>> certainly don't understand grub2's grub.cfg.
>>
>> I installed Eeebuntu on my eeepc when I got it.  It was using grub.  I
>> have since installed Squeeze, since I am happier with pure Debian.  That
>> install uses grub2.  I would like to continue using lilo.
>
> This is the same for me.
>
>> Now, lilo is still avaiilable in Squeeze, so I installed it and ran
>> liloconfig.  This resulted in an error saying that the root device might
>> be a raid, or some other configuration that liloconfig could not handle,
>
> I see: liloconfig is to old for Squeeze. Thanks for this hint.
> This script needs some work.
>>
>> and that I should write my own lilo,conf.  OK.  I can do that.  Having
>> done so, however, and then running lilo, I get the following error:
>>
>>       # lilo
>>       Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
>>       Fatal: raid_setup: stat("UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77")
>
> At first: set 'lba32' at the beginning of the lilo.conf.
>
>> configuration.  My lilo.conf is as follows:
>
> Please set this lines as following:
>
>   #### use old device names, i. e.
>   #### (note: inside lilo works interally with VolumeID's)
>   boot=/dev/sda   # or similar device
>   :
>   #### for each image another UUID, i. e.
>   # partition /dev/sda1
>   root="UUID=5019cd9d-5d2e-4d7c-a6f4-0eccb5144c77"

So, you're saying that UUIDs are supported for root, but not for boot.

That means that you can boot either kernel (2.6.32-3 or 2.6.32-5),
but running lilo's map installer will fail if you use

boot=/dev/sda on the 2.6.32-3 kernel and it will fail if you
use boot=/dev/hda on the 2.6.32-5 kernel, right?

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :