Re: 32bits and 3G memory limit

On 6/20/2010 10:32 AM, T o n g wrote:
> Is the 3G memory access limit is the natural one, or something
> superficial imposed by M$? I mean, does 32bits Linux (the i386
> architecture) has such 3G limit as well?

I'm not familiar with "M$", but if you're referring to "MS", short for
"Microsoft", then no. Sorry, pet peeve, but "M$", "Micro$oft", and the
like, come across as quite immature, and very fanboy.

A 32-bit system, is a system that can address at most 2^32 bits of
memory for any given process. Most 32-bit kernels these days, however,
can address much more thanks to the physical address extensions (PAE),
typically 64 GB. But that still means that each process can only address
2^32, or 4GB of RAM.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O