Re: turn off all logging

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:04:15PM +0200, Jozsi Vadkan wrote:
> /etc/init.d/rsyslog stop
> chmod -x /etc/init.d/rsyslog
>
> is that enough? or the system logs somewhere else?

That should do it, but it is a slightly hackish way of doing it.

Another (IMHO better) way of doing it is to modify the contents of
/etc/syslog.conf (or /etc/rsyslogd.conf?) so that only things that you
are truly interested in get logged - you're bound to want to want
e.g. kernel oops's, OOM killer events logged I guess.  You can also
use this to send all the system logging information to another system
if needed.

> > Can anyone post a link, to a good howto, how to:
> >
> > - turn off logging to console
> > - turn off logging to files [/var/log/messages]
> > - turn off all logging
> >
> > Reason: because Lenny is not on a normal HDD, so i don't want to write
> > to often. And i don't need any logging on it.

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen