Re: Backups - was: Re: LVM

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/15/2010 05:32 AM, Lisi wrote:
On Tuesday 15 June 2010 01:25:56 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
There are many many ways to make take backups beyond having a disk big
enough to hold the data.

Would you feel inclined to elaborate? I'm trying to solve this problem for my granddaughter's large HDD, and am not keen to have to buy a 300GB external
drive.  Tar would still require a fairly large medium. :-(

Certainly not a name-brand pre-built model!

However, empty external enclosures can be had for less than $20 at all the regular mail order places. Just slip a "big" drive in there and bob's your uncle!

Indeed, I use 2 of them and just bought another one because the fan on one of the units is having a hard time of it. Unfortunately you only find out about this after you have had the unit for a while.

These are USB enclosures, one for an ATA disk and one for an SATA disk. Curious, smartctl can read the ATA one but not the SATA one.

You just pop in the drive and plug in the unit and away you go: Debian's recent kernels find the units. I am running 2.6.34 on a partition of the SATA enclosure right now.

Hugo