Re: RAID5 on S5000PSL ServerBoard

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 09:47:11 cool name wrote:
> Mike Bird-2 wrote:
> > Do you really want to use hardware RAID?  Note that if your hardware RAID
> > controller dies, you're going to need a compatible replacement or you'll
> > lose all of your data.
>
> utter bullshit. Is it true that not EVERY replacement-controller will do
> the job but most out there will, RAID is standardized, you know .... only
> if you use proprietary RAID-version you'll be fucked up, anything else
> will be most likely fine.

That's simply not true.  The RAID numbers are loosely defined, so one
manufacturer's RAID 5 parity data may not be compatible with another
manufacturer's.  The mdadm software RAID tool for Linux supports at least 4
RAID 5 parity algorithms.

RAID 6 is part of the "RAID standard", but few manufacturers implement it, and
its second parity calculation is even more loosely defined.

RAID 0 is likely fine, as long as you know the stripe size in use and your new
controller supports it.

RAID 1 is likely fine, but some HW controllers only support it on exactly 2
drives.

RAID 2, 3, and 4 are basically never used now; good luck finding a HW RAID
controller that supports one of them.

Strictly layered RAID 1/0 would be fine, again as long as your stripe size is
know, but rarely is RAID 1/0 done in a strictly layered fashion.  Again, mdadm
has 3 different algorithms for how to place the second (or third...) copies of
that data, and supports RAID 1/0 on an uneven number of drives, which can't be
done when things are strictly layered.

Finally, there is no standard for how a RAID header / the RAID meta-data is
written to the disks are read at boot time.  Something has to indicate what
array a drive is part of, what RAID level is in use on that array, what disk
number the drive is within the array, and the RAID-level-specific options like
stripe size.  With HW RAID, this is always stored in a completely proprietary
manner.

Unless you have a very specific workload where mdadm might cause a performance
slip, I recommend using mdadm for all your RAID.