Re: PCI-E mini wireless card to use Debian as AP

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:38, Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like there are a range of Atheros devices, all cheaper than
> buying them from anywhere else I've looked. Unless anyone pipes up
> with a horror story, I'll try an AR9287 since it's cheap enough that I
> won't get too upset if it all goes pear shaped. I can't find any
> reports of problems with that device, though it has only recently
> become supported (should work with the kernel currently in
> testing/unstable/backports AFAICT). Of course, I couldn't find any
> *recent* reports of problems with the AR5008 you mention either, so
> perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.
>

> Next I need to figure out what antennas I need to get. I'll try to
> report back if it ends in success - or disaster.

Mixed results: the range is terrible, although I believe that is
entirely due to a poor choice of antennas.

With Linux 2.6.32 from lenny-backports the device seems to work fine
for creating an open network, but I can't seem to persuade it to use
any kind of security - hostapd always says 'deauthenticated due to
local deauth request'. I've tried a wide range of configuration
options to no avail. This isn't especially important to me though as I
don't really mind leaving the AP open - just thought I'd mention it
for the record.

Nye