Re: Backups - was: Re: LVM

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please excuse the thread breaking.  I have suddenly been being rejected by the
> list server and am sending for the third time.  I hope that the list server
> is now happy with my SMTP settings.
>
> On Tuesday 15 June 2010 01:25:56 Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> There are many many ways to make take backups beyond having a disk big
>> enough to hold the data.
>
> Would you feel inclined to elaborate?  I'm trying to solve this problem for my
> granddaughter's large HDD, and am not keen to have to buy a 300GB external
> drive.  Tar would still require a fairly large medium. :-(

It all depends. Questions to ask

How much total data is there to backup
How much data changes on each change
how many backups do I want to keep.
How easy do I want to make my restores

I use rdiff-backup remote diff backup package to a backup server, I
usually keep about 30 backups, figure if I haven't noticed in a month
then I probably don't really need it :)  I have plenty of space on my
backup server (you could use a NAS box - one of those ones that takes
2 disks so that you can raid1).

I backup the system and the valuable data

and for the really valuable data I send to 2 remote sites - its all
automated so I don't have to worry about it (sends me emails when it
has problems).  took me a while to write/setup the system.

I realise i will need a debian DVD to recover a machine, install base
and then just restore the system backup set and go from there.

One thing to remember also RAID is not a backup solution.