Re: Removing all dependencies with aptitude

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 20:00:43 +0100, Vasco Costa wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > You can ask aptitude directly:
> >
> >  aptitude why libfribidi0
>
> Thanks, this is quite handy. I should have known about this but I
> haven't used Debian since over ten years ago (I have been using Gentoo
> and Archlinux meanwhile).

I sometimes have the impression that even many long-time Debian users do
not know aptitude's "why" command, which is a shame. (The complementary
"why-not" is very useful as well.)

>                           I guess it's time to read the aptitude
> manual. :)

I would especially recommend to familiarize yourself with the
interactive mode of aptitude; this investment will pay off many times
over.

Note that you can configure aptitude so that it will not install
recommended dependencies automatically, but you can still tell it to
keep all the "auto" packages that are on your system as long as there is
at least one package that recommends them. This allows you to decide at
each upgrade/install operation which of the recommended packages you
actually want, and if you want to mark them for future automatic removal
or if you like them in their own right. (The same options exist for
suggested packages.)

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |