Re: Hot CPU!

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 05:14:27PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 02:24:57 -0700, freeman wrote:
>
> > Today my CPU seemingly jumped to 85' C and remained there without one
> > change during three 15 min. sessions.
>
> Did you check that values from BIOS or other sources?

The BIOS doesn't give me that. I used the three programs listed below.

> (...)
>
> > I guess I'll never know. How could a dust buildup cause a sudden change
> > in the course of one session?  I didn't see anything that seemed to have
> > been sucked in all at once.
>
> Bad heatsink or old fan?

Maybe. It seems to be holding up normally since that post.

> > The Debian part is, could sensor reporting by ACPI, I8K (for Dell) and
> > libsensors be dead-ended at 85' C?
>
> "lmsensors" reads the values provided by the BIOS but can they be wrong
> unless you load the right modules.

lmsensors, i8k and acpi all agree. Also they have been consistent for years,
and consistent with this computer's twin.

> > I am thinking that physically removing and replacing the cooling unit
> > maybe got me a lucky realignment of sensors or something.  85' C would
> > just have been a default on failing.
>
> As you changed "nothing" is quite strange, but I would just replace the
> whole heatsink with a newer one, put a new layer of thermal paste and
> check for any BIOS update.

I put the thermal past. I'll check for an update. Expenditures are "urgent
only" for the time being.  :-(

The cooling unit has a pressure plate and liquid conduit tube to the
heatsink.

> > But the fan had to be in on the bad information too.  Does it's
> > information come from the kernel.
>
> It comes from BIOS. You better check the BIOS values to reassure.

The thing I didn't express well, methinks the temperature was oscillating.
It always does.  Thereby a constant 85'C was a misreport.  Things were
more likely either normal or approaching 102'C, the red line.  That blowing
out some dust fixed it only confuses things, really. :-)

> > BTW, this is a Pentium M, 1.6 GHz., which is suppose to handle heat
> > well.
>
> IIRC, Pentium M saga was not very "wattage hungry", I mean, it had a very
> low TDP (<30W) :-?

This one is 24.5W at 0.956 - 1.484 V.

It steps at .6 .8 1.0 1.2 1.4 & 1.6 .

I really like these machines, two little Dell Inspiron 600m's.  Of course,
at 5 & 6 years of banging around town with me, I have to expect maintenance
like this.  The other is headless but runs a 1440x990 desktop LCD without
problem.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer.