Hot CPU!

Today my CPU seemingly jumped to 85' C and remained there without one change
during three 15 min. sessions.

Weird in numerous ways.

It never stays at the same temperature.

It has achieved 74' C maybe 6 times in 4 years.

The fan achieved a speed I have never seen and stayed there.

It was that hot on the first boot, on opening Gnome and getting a look at
the temp first thing because the fan, which usually starts well into
session, was so loud.

The exhaust didn't seem particularly warm (but that could be attributed to
volume.)

I removed, cleaned and replaced the cooling unit/fan. All returned to normal
on the next session: temps in the 30's on idle, 40's on average work, 50's
on a load, spikes into the 60's on extended load.

I guess I'll never know. How could a dust buildup cause a sudden change in
the course of one session?  I didn't see anything that seemed to have been
sucked in all at once.

The Debian part is, could sensor reporting by ACPI, I8K (for Dell) and
libsensors be dead-ended at 85' C?

I am thinking that physically removing and replacing the cooling unit maybe
got me a lucky realignment of sensors or something.  85' C would just have
been a default on failing.

But the fan had to be in on the bad information too.  Does it's information
come from the kernel.

BTW, this is a Pentium M, 1.6 GHz., which is suppose to handle heat well.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman