Re: Force reinstall of /etc files without purge/install cycle?

On 05/30/2010 07:57 PM, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
I can't find an option within aptitude to force a reinstall of /etc
files. I know that aptitude will not overwrite them by default, but
isn't there a way to force a package's conf files back to a pristine
state?

The purge/install cycle isn't always an option, since in many cases it
will want to uninstall all of gnome or kde.

Sorry about splitting this into two emails, but the reason that it wants to remove those packages is because they are "automatically installed" either via recommends or depends. You can mark them as manually installed with aptitude unmarkauto <package>. Sometimes you can easily unmark many packages at once with aptitude keep-all (by removing the package with dpkg so that the other actions are "pending" as far as aptitude is concerned).