Re: Acroread: accelerating the search through a PDF

On 05/29/2010 01:47 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Hi,

I sometimes have really long documents (>4000 p) for specs., or for
other purely technical stuff. I sometimes look for a given model, or for
a given word. The fact is that acroread reads ~8 pg/s, and, thus, if I
do not know that my keyword is simply at the last page of the document,
it takes 500s ~8 minutes and a half. How can I speed it up? Why is it so
sluggish? Do not tell me that it is limited by R/W access on the HDD...

A different solution would be to open it in OOo Writer (I've tried it with v3.2 from Sid). I just tried it on a 125 page laptop Owner's Manual. Took about 10 minutes to convert. The results were passable and I could save it in ODT format.

For as huge a document as you have, probably the wise thing to do would be to add some sort *files* (see "man mkswap") and start the task on Friday night. If that blows up on you, pdftk can split files into smaller chunks.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?