Update GRUB to GRUB2 / Lenny to Squeeze

        I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
GRUB2 failed.  The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with three
partitions each.  Each partition on each drive is a RAID1 mirror of the
same partition on the other drive.  The first partitions on both drives
are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted as /boot.  When I run

`dpkg --configure grub-pc`

I get the following:

Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
Generating core.img
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 1
 grub-pc

        I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found quite
a number of references, but none were really helpful in resolving the
issue.  (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora and is going to
be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.)  Where do I modify the
package configuration to let grub-probe know which modules to load?  If
GRUB2 were already configured, then I think I could manually modify the
grub.cfg file to get it to work, but if GRUB2 were already configured,
I wouldn't have the problem inthe first place, and until GRUB2 is at
least partially configured grub.cfg won't even exist.