Installing memtest86 in Lenny fails to copy the actual binary

Howdy, fellow Debianites!

I tried to install memtest86 on my Lenny box (using Synaptic). Everything appeared to go smoothly, even a new "memtest" entry wass added to my grub.cfg - but the actual memtest86.bin file was never copied to disk! Interestingly enough, the same happened when I tried to install memtest86+ ... Of course, the "memtest" grub entry now fails with a "file not found" error.
Any ideas? Happened to anybody else?
Let me just add that my / partition is not full.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801