Re: file transfer from removable flash memory: time stamps and case

H.S. wrote:
When I copy files from a flash memory (inserted in a USB card reader) to
my Testing desktop, I notice that the filenames are upper case and the
time stamp of the transferred files is the time they were transferred
and not when they were originally created.

How do I avoid these and get lower case filenames and original
timestamps? The flash memories are all vfat.

1. Add the option "shortname=winnt" (or maybe some other "shortname="
   values (see the manual page for the "mount" command)) to your mount
   options (in /etc/fstab, your command line, or whatever on your system
   mounts the filesystem on the flash memory).

2. If you're using the "cp" command to copy, consider the "-p" or "-a"
   options.  Since you're probably dragging and dropping in a file
   manager, you'll have to find that file manager's equivalent of
   cp's -p and/or -a.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]